Recipe by AlainaF
For years I tried making the perfect fried green tomatoes. My grandmothers were absolutely perfect, and she never wrote her recipe down, so I never knew what she did. Well, I made these one day and they tasted exactly like hers, and now these are my go-to fried green tomatoes! Delicious.
- 4 green tomatoes, 1/2 inch sliced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons kosher coarse sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- canola oil
- hot sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix cornmeal, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper together on a plate.
- Pour flour on a separate plate.
- Mix milk with eggs in a bowl.
- Dredge slices of tomato in flour, then egg mix, then breadcrumb mix.
- Fry in canola oil in a cast iron skillet on both sides until golden brown.
- Serve with hot sauce.