Prep 12 mins
Cook 12 mins
From Tennessee Home & Farm magazine. Tip: To dress up your dish, drizzle ranch dressing and sprinkle homemade bacon bits on top. Or, add bread for a fried green tomato sandwich.
- 4 large green tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups fine cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- Cut off ends of the tomatoes and slice each tomato into about three 1/2-inch pieces.
- Put tomato slices in a large bowl.
- Add buttermilk and turn to coat each slice.
- Marinate for 5 minutes.
- Place a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add oil to come two-thirds up the side of the pan, and heat oil to 325 degrees.
- In a wide bowl, mix cornmeal, salt and pepper.
- Working in batches, remove tomatoes from buttermilk, shaking off excess and dip in cornmeal to coat each side.
- Shake off the excess cornmeal.
- Slip the slices into the oil in a single layer and fry until golden brown - about 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Drain on paper towels.
Have always wanted to try this, but never had the courage until PAC came around! I didn't have fine ground cornmeal, and so it was a little too rough, but will definetly try this again when I get better cornmeal. Thanks! Made for PAC 08.