Recipe by charlie #5
Almost makes me wish I grew up in the South. Think these would make great BLTs on toasted sourdough bread. Might try the BLT with a little pesto or basil mayo too. This is to the best of my memory how Granny does them and how I now do it. I added the Creole Seasoning. I like to fry them in bacon grease when I can. You could also serve them with a chiffenade of fresh basil and crumbled feta or goat cheese. For a homey meal, consider serving with mac n’ cheese or how about with some spicy grilled shrimp. I might try serving with my Coriander Mint Chutney or Cucumber Raita.
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk or 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon emeril's bam creole seasoning
- 3 firm green tomatoes
- vegetable oil (for frying) or bacon grease
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat egg and milk together.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, and seasoning.
- Core tomatoes and cut into thin slices, about ¼” thick. Dip tomato slices in egg, then cornmeal mixture to coat.
- Heat bacon grease in a nonstick pan. In batches, brown tomatoes on both sides, turning once (1-2 minutes per side). Remove with slotted spatula to paper towels to drain.
- Serve immediately with hot sauce and lemon wedges. You could also sprinkle with some fresh Parmesan cheese.