Recipe by Charlotte J
If you'd like fry these in bacon grease. They have a half hour chill time. From "In the World Kitchen".
Top Review by Bergy
Lovely recipe, I served the tomatoes for brunch with Low Fat Chinese Omelet, nice combination. I would advise others trying this recipe follow the instructions carefully. Have the oil HOT and only cook for 2 minutes each side. They come out golden and oh so good. This was a nice change I usually stir fry the tomatoes with onions, Thanks Charlotte 3 for a keeper.
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 large green tomatoes, sliced 1/4 thick
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix cornmeal, flour, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- In another bowl beat eggs and water.
- Dredge tomato slice through the cornmeal mixture; then through egg mixture and once again through cornmeal mixture.
- Until all slices have been coated.
- Place tomatoes in airtight container with lid.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in large skillet.
- Fry tomatoes (two or three at a time) until brown.
- About 2 minutes per side.
- Drain on paper towels and serve.