Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Slightly different from the others, very tasty for a summer bbq!
Make and share this Fried Green Tomatoes recipe from Food.com.
- 2 medium green tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- hot pepper sauce (optional)
- Cut tomatoes into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, salt, garlic salt, red pepper and black pepper in pie plate or shallow bowl; mix well.
- Pour buttermilk into second pie plate or shallow bowl.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, dip tomato slices into buttermilk, coating both sides.
- Immediately dredge slices in flour mixture; shake off excess flour mixture.
- Cook tomato slices in hot oil 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- Transfer to parchment paper or paper towels.
- Serve immediately with pepper sauce, if desired.
I haven't eaten these in years and decided to make this recipe based on the ingredients/spices. I was very pleased. The cornmeal gave extra texture to the coating and the garlic and red pepper kicked up the flavor. These are excellent served with hot sauce. Thanx for sharing your recipe!
This is the way I make them when I have buttermilk handy. I think it is the best way- the buttermilk and cornmeal add a lot of flavour and texture. VERY YUMMY !!