Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Some people use plain meal, some use plain flour. I like the mixture of both, but however you coat them, they turn out just plain good. Ask any farmer, they will tell you.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 firm green tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 5 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 cup oil
- Put salt, cornmeal, flour and pepper in a large zip lock bag.
- Slice tomato 1/4 inch thick into a bowl big enough to hold all slices.
- Pour milk over tomatoes.
- Shake dry ingredients up in a Ziplock bag.
- Pour milk off of tomato slices and pour slices into bag of dry ingredients.
- Lock bag and shake tomato slices in bag till well coated; set aside.
- Put bacon drippings and oil in large frying pan. Heat till hot enough to fry.
- Lay slices of tomatoes in fry pan and fry till brown on first side. Turn and fry till brown and tender on other side.
I (and I alone since no one else in my family likes these!) really enjoyed these. I did reduce the cornmeal a little bit, but I enjoyed the flavor. Thanks for posting!
Loved this recipe...used Tony's seasoning instead of plain salt.
This recipe was exactly what I was looking for. I have one child allergic to egg so this was a nice no egg version. I had not made it with cornmeal before so I was hapily suprised with the added crunch it offers.. the kids loved it. Thanks.