Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
When firm, tart green tomatoes are coated in bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese the pan-fried, they become amazingly crispy on the outside, and warm and juicy on the inside. If green tomatoes are difficult to find, fresh tomatillos make an excellent substitute.
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2⁄3 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb green tomatoes or 1 lb tomatillo, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Old Bay Seasoning, for serving
- hot sauce, for serving
- In a medium bowl, season the flour with salt and pepper.
- Put the eggs in another medium bowl and toss the bread crumbs and grated Parmesan cheese in a third bowl.
- Dredge the tomato slices in the flour, then coat them in the egg, letting any excess drip back into the bowl.
- Coat in the bread crumbs, pressing to help them adhere.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering.
- Add the breaded tomatoes in a single layer, and cook them over moderately high heat, turning once, until deeply golden and crisp, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Transfer the tomato slices to paper towel-lined plates.
- Sprinkle with salt and Old Bay Seasoning and serve immediately with hot sauce.