Recipe by Aric Ross
This is a great recipe that makes a great side dish or can even be a stand alone lunch. This recipe is also versatile as you can substitute red tomatoes in place of the green tomatoes.
- 3⁄4 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 4 medium green tomatoes
- oil, for frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift the flour, salt and pepper into a medium bowl.
- Add the cornmeal and stir to combine.
- Make a well in the center.
- Combine the egg and milk and add gradually to flour mixture.
- Whisk the batter until just combined, but do not overbeat.
- Cut the tomatoes into thick slices.
- Heat about 1/2 inch of oil in frying pan.
- Dip the tomatoes into the batter; drain excess and fry for 1 minute on each side, turning only once with tongs.
- Drain on paper towls and server immediately.