Recipe by Krsi Sue
Wedges hold coating better than sliced rounds. Place the cooked wedges on parchment paper to soak up any excess oil. A great dip to have with this is mayonnaise with lime juice and basil mixed in.
Top Review by Montana Heart Song
I didn't have lime juice and used lemon juice. Oh, my, so good! I can hardly wait to eat another batch. I also used miracle whip with Alpine Touch seasoning ( a mix of salt,garlic & black pepper) Yummmm! Unfortunately I don't have any more green tomatoes.
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 4 teaspoons coarse salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- oil, for frying
- 3 large green tomatoes, wedged
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cornmeal, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper in medium bowl & set aside.
- Whisk together the buttermilk, eggs and lime juice & set aside. This will curdle slightly.
- Pour oil in frying pan to a depth of 1/2" & heat.
- Working in batches, dip tomatoes in buttermilk mixture, then in the cornmeal mixture.
- Fry tomatoes until golden brown, about 1 minute on each side.
- Place first on paper towel to soak up excess oil, and serve on plate lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle with a bit of salt while hot.