Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
New twist to a Southern delicacy.
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 green tomato, sliced into 4 (1/2-inch thick)
- 8 slices sourdough bread, toasted
- 4 leaves boston lettuce
- 12 slices bacon, cooked
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons minced chipotle peppers
- 1 green onion, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Spoon 1/4 cup flour into a shallow dish; set aside.
- Combine remaining 1/4 cup flour, cornmeal, 1/8 teaspoons salt, and 1/8 teaspoons pepper in another shallow dish.
- In a third shallow dish, whisk egg with buttermilk.
- In a 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat on stovetop.
- Evenly sprinkle each tomato slice with remaining 1/8 teaspoons salt and remaining 1/8 teaspoons pepper. Dust tomato slices in remaining 1/4 cup flour, then dip in buttermilk mixture, and dredge in cornmeal mixture.
- Fry tomatoes, in batches, for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until lightly browned and tender.
- To assemble sandwiches, evenly spread each slice of toasted bread with Chipotle Mayonnaise; then layer lettuce leaf, 3 slices bacon, and fried tomato.
- To prepare Chipotle Mayonnaise combine all ingredients in a small bowl, stirring well.
- Cover and chill.
I can't wait to try this recipe , it looks like a 5 star Fried Green-Tomato BLT sandwich to me . I'll let you know as soon as my mouth quits watering! Nana's Pantry