Recipe by sassafrasnanc
People beg me to make these sandwiches. It's a great way to use extra tomatoes from your garden. Some grocery stores carry green tomatoes year round. This is my very favorite sandwich ever. The fresh mozzarella cheese can be substituted with regular mozzarella but it won't be a yummy! You can also use Tempeh Bacon for a vegetarian version (not vegan).
Top Review by PaulaG
This is one fantastic sandwich! The bread was recipe #140421 and for the cornmeal, recipe #167160. The tomatoes were fresh from my garden. I reduced the amount of bacon to 2 thick slices per sandwich and even with that this sandwich is a handful but delicious. Thanks for posting and for pointing me in the direction of this wonderful creation.
- 1 green tomato, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 8 -10 slices bacon, cooked
- 4 slices tomatoes
- 2 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 4 teaspoons chipotle chili mayonnaise, see my recipe
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Mix cornmeal, salt and pepper.
- Coat green tomato slices with cornmeal mix. Heat oil in frying pan (or use counter top fryer).
- Fry green tomatoes until lightly browned and slightly soft.
- Coat bread slices with chipotle mayonnaise.
- Stack with bacon, cheese, fried green tomatoes and red tomato.
- Melt butter in frying pan.
- Grill at medium-low temperature until cheese is melted (this makes the sandwich so delicious).
- Eat hot or cold.