Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
People beg me to make these sandwiches. It's a great way to use extra tomatoes from your garden. Some grocery stores carry green tomatoes year round. This is my very favorite sandwich ever. The fresh mozzarella cheese can be substituted with regular mozzarella but it won't be a yummy! You can also use Tempeh Bacon for a vegetarian version (not vegan).
- 1 green tomato, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 8 -10 slices bacon, cooked
- 4 slices tomatoes
- 2 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 4 teaspoons chipotle chili mayonnaise, see my recipe
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Mix cornmeal, salt and pepper.
- Coat green tomato slices with cornmeal mix. Heat oil in frying pan (or use counter top fryer).
- Fry green tomatoes until lightly browned and slightly soft.
- Coat bread slices with chipotle mayonnaise.
- Stack with bacon, cheese, fried green tomatoes and red tomato.
- Melt butter in frying pan.
- Grill at medium-low temperature until cheese is melted (this makes the sandwich so delicious).
- Eat hot or cold.
This is one fantastic sandwich! The bread was Artisan Sourdough Garlic Bread and for the cornmeal, Cornbread Mix. The tomatoes were fresh from my garden. I reduced the amount of bacon to 2 thick slices per sandwich and even with that this sandwich is a handful but delicious. Thanks for posting and for pointing me in the direction of this wonderful creation.
this sandwich was great i not put red tomatoes on it before will do over and for the other person you don't fry the red tomatoes. thanks
This was an okay tasting sandwich, although I couldn't find "self-rising cornmeal," just regular cornmeal. Green tomatoes were also hard to find. I dipped the red tomatoes in cornmeal and fried as per instructions and used store bought chipotle mayonnaise, but family thought it was just okay, nothing special. I don't think I'll try this one again.