Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Spicy green beans with unsweetened coconut. Great with curries. Black mustard seeds can be found at spice shops.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 cup onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh gingerroot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed and cut crosswise into small pieces
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a 10-inch heavy skillet or 12-inch wok, heat the butter over moderate heat until a drop of cold water dropped into it splutters instantly. Add the mustard seeds and fry for 30 seconds.
- Thoroughly stir in the onion, ginger, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add the green bean pieces. Stirring constantly, add the cayenne and fry for 5 minutes longer.
- Add the coconut and cilantro, reduce the heat to low, and cover the pan. Stirring occasionally, cook for 5-8 minutes more, or until the beans are crisp-tender.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice, taste for seasoning, and serve at once.
This was delicious even though it was hard not to quickly burn the onions, even on the lowest heat.