Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
an alternative to the old standby this is quick and easy
- 1 1⁄2 lbs salmon
- 1 1⁄2 lbs whitefish
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups matzo meal
- salt, pepper
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- grind the salmon, whitefish, carrots and onion in a food processor.
- put in a bowl and mix in 3 eggs and 1c matzoh meal, salt& pepper.
- put remaining matzoh meal on a plate.
- beat 2 eggs in a bowl.
- put some oil on your hands,.
- form the fish mixture into patties, dip in egg, then matzoh meal to coat, set aside pour some oil into a skillet heat to medium, cook patties in batches until brown on both sides, adding more oil as needed serve on fresh greens with horseradish.
I have never put salmon in gefilte fish before, and I have never fried whitefish. This was sort of like that commercial for Reese's Peanutbutter Cup, hey you got your salmon in my whitefish, no, you've got your whitefish in my salmon! Either way, it was delicious! I wouldn't really call it fried gefilte fish, maybe more Jewish-style fish cakes. I had this with some of my homemade Ranch dressing on the side. All fish-eating family members enjoyed it!