Prep 6 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a tasty fried fish which we like served with rice and Kuwaiti Tomato Sauce (Dukkous Al-Tamat). I have made this with whole deboned light skinned fish as well increasing the coating as needed based on fish size. No need to remove the heads! I always make our version gluten free using double the amount of white rice flour and half the amount sweet rice flour & tapioca starch, though it fries OK I can see it would work better with regular flour. Modified from Delights from the Garden of Eden by Nawal Nasrallah.
- 4 fresh fish, pieces serving size, skinned
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon iraqi curry powder (Iraqi Curry Powder)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour (to be gluten free see introduction)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- canola oil (I think corn oil is traditionally used, you may use vegetable too, I added some butter to the oil fo)
- lemon wedge, to serve or
- sumac, to serve
- Mix spices in a ziplock bag or bowl and coat fish pieces.
- Fry them in a 1/2 inch deep oil of choice, turning once until golden brown on both sides. While frying help keep pieces flat by pressing on them with a metal spatula. 5-10 minutes cooking time depending on fish thickness.
- Sprinkle with some sumac or squeeze on fresh lemon juice.
- Serve immediately, with rice, a fresh salad and Recipe#387327.
Excellent simple fish recipe! I made it gluten free with gluten free flour mix (rice flour and arrowroot starch) and it worked very well. Thanks for sharing this delicious recipe!
Made for Come Visit Iraque / N*A*M*E Forum.
This was very tasty and added just a thin layer of crunch to the fish. I made the recipe exactly as written using Cod. I made the Iraqi Curry that is linked to this recipe and it was quite nice. I will definitely make again.
This is excellent. I really like that it makes a thin coating of flavor and isn't heavily battered. This way you taste the fish and spices without adding a lot of unnecessary calories. Used northern pike as it's what I have at the moment. Would certainly make this again with a smile. Made for Ramadan Tag in North Arrica/Middle East forum.