Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
My mother's recipe. This is a very simple side dish to go along with an Indian or Middle Eastern meal. It's great over rice. The eggplant will be soft, not crunchy, so if you prefer a crunchy fried eggplant then this is not the recipe for you :) Cooking time does not include the time it takes for the oil to heat up. Enjoy.
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into rounds
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- vegetable oil, for frying
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain nonfat yogurt
- cilantro (for garnish) (optional)
- Heat oil in a large skillet, season both sides of eggplant slices with salt and pepper. Sprinkle cumin over all of the slices (on one side).
- Fry eggplant slices in batches, they are done when they turn a light golden brown. Place cooked eggplant on a paper-towel-covered plate to drain off some of the oil. Allow to cool to room temperature, transfer to serving platter. Spoon yogurt sauce over the top just before serving. Garnish with chopped cilantro if desired.
- Yogurt Sauce: using a fork, beat the yogurt in a bowl with salt and pepper (to taste) until smooth.