Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Eggplant, the other squash!
- 1⁄4 cup oil, for frying
- 2 eggplants, young-sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup flour, adjusting to make a light batter
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar, for dusting
- In a large skillet, preheat oil. Season the eggplant with salt.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs until frothy. Whisk in the sugar and a pinch of salt. Add flour to make a light batter. Soak the eggplant slice in the light batter.
- Remove the eggplant from the batter and gently lay in the hot oil. Pan-fry the eggplant for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove from the oil and drain on a paper-lined plate. Serve the eggplant immediately with powdered sugar.
Photo Tag 2008 ~ Something different to do with eggplant. The sweetness from the sugar counteracts the bitterness of the eggplant. I halved the recipe but still had to use 2 eggs to make it more batter-like. I also added a little bit of milk to help thin it out more. Thanks Bird!