Recipe by evelyn/athens
These are fantastic! Vegetarians/Lovers of vegetables (and cheese) will be very, very happy. The prep time includes 1/2 an hour of salting and draining the eggplant.
Top Review by Sharon123
I really enjoyed these "sandwiches"! I served these with salsa. I probably should have cooked them a little longer so they would cook through a little more, but I loved the taste and will make these again! I will try the basil Sauce next time.
- 2 medium flask eggplants, cut into round, 1/2 inch slices
- 1 large green pepper, cut in small cubes
- 1 large red pepper, cut in small cubes
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- flour (for dredging)
- breadcrumbs (for dredging)
- olive oil, and
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- basil leaves (to garnish)
- 1 1⁄2 cups strained yoghurt or 1 1⁄2 cups Greek yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, mashed
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh basil leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly salt the eggplant rounds and put them in a colander to drain.
- Mash together ricotta, cream cheese and Parmesan with a fork.
- Mix in the all the pepper cubes.
- Season lightly with salt and generously with freshly ground pepper.
- Spread the cheese mixture evenly on half the eggplant slices and close with remaining slices, making a ‘sandwich’.
- Heat approximately 1 ½- 2 inches oil in large skillet.
- Put flour on a plate and on another, the breadcrumbs.
- Dip the ‘sandwiches’ first in the flour, then in the beaten egg, and finally in the breadcrumbs.
- Fry until golden-brown, turning over when bottom side is done.
- Drain on paper toweling.
- Serve hot with Basil Sauce.
- To make Basil Sauce: Combine all sauce ingredients; season to taste.