Recipe by Member #610488
These were served by a friend's mother while I worked in the US Virgin Islands. We had them with fried fish but they would be great just with butter and jam as well.
- 4 cups self-rising flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- oil, for frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Add the milk and mix together.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
- Divide the dough into 10 balls, kneading each with floured hands. Press the balls gently into 3 inch rounds.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan until moderately hot. Place half of the dumplings in the pan.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for about 15 minutes, until they are golden brown, turning once.
- Stand the dumplings on their sides for a few minutes to brown the edges, before removing them to drain on absorbent paper. Serve warm.