3 hrs 20 mins
Karen From Colorado's Note:
These doughboys are pan fried rather then deepfried and are much like pancakes. In Italy they are served for holiday breakfasts.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Blend the 1/2 butter and 1/2 cup honey (and cinnamon if desired) together until fluffy Sprinkle yeast over the warm water in a small bowl.
- 2Stir in 1 T. honey and let stand 5 to 10 minutes until mixture bubbles up.
- 3Combine whole wheat flour, white flour and pepper, stirring to blend together.
- 4Pour in yeast mixture and the 2 T. melted butter.
- 5Mix until a dough forms.
- 6Turn dough out onto a floured surface.
- 7Knead for 10 minutes, until dough is firm, elastic and no longer sticky.
- 8If necessary you can add 2 or 3 more tablespoons of flour.
- 9Place 1 T. oil in a large bowl.
- 10Add dough, turning to coat dough and bowl with the oil.
- 11Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm area until doubled.
- 12(1 1/2 to 2 hours) Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- 13Form into a cylinder 2 inches in diameter.
- 14Cut off pieces 1 inch thick.
- 15Press each slice with palm to flatten.
- 16Let rest 10 minutes.
- 17Roll slices out with a rolling pin until they are ovals about 6x3 inches.
- 18Lay ovals on waxed paper and let rise about 30 minutes until doubled.
- 19Cover the bottom of a skillet with a thin coat of oil.
- 20Heat oil.
- 21Fry doughboys over med heat until golden brown on both sides.
- 22Don't rush them, they will get there.
- 23Add more oil as needed.
- 24Serve doughboys warm with honey butter.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fried Doughboys With Honey Butter
Serving Size: 1 (941 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 156.9
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 14.6 mg
- Sodium 40.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 2.8 g