Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 3 hrs
Cook 20 mins
These doughboys are pan fried rather then deepfried and are much like pancakes. In Italy they are served for holiday breakfasts.
- 1 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 3⁄4 cups whole wheat flour (not pastry flour)
- 1 1⁄2 cups white flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 teaspoons butter or 2 teaspoons margarine, melted and cooled slightly
- vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Blend the 1/2 butter and 1/2 cup honey (and cinnamon if desired) together until fluffy Sprinkle yeast over the warm water in a small bowl.
- Stir in 1 T. honey and let stand 5 to 10 minutes until mixture bubbles up.
- Combine whole wheat flour, white flour and pepper, stirring to blend together.
- Pour in yeast mixture and the 2 T. melted butter.
- Mix until a dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface.
- Knead for 10 minutes, until dough is firm, elastic and no longer sticky.
- If necessary you can add 2 or 3 more tablespoons of flour.
- Place 1 T. oil in a large bowl.
- Add dough, turning to coat dough and bowl with the oil.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm area until doubled.
- (1 1/2 to 2 hours) Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Form into a cylinder 2 inches in diameter.
- Cut off pieces 1 inch thick.
- Press each slice with palm to flatten.
- Let rest 10 minutes.
- Roll slices out with a rolling pin until they are ovals about 6x3 inches.
- Lay ovals on waxed paper and let rise about 30 minutes until doubled.
- Cover the bottom of a skillet with a thin coat of oil.
- Heat oil.
- Fry doughboys over med heat until golden brown on both sides.
- Don't rush them, they will get there.
- Add more oil as needed.
- Serve doughboys warm with honey butter.