Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
From a reprint of the vintage cookbook the Williamsburg Art of Cookery Or, Accomplifh'd Gentlewoman's Companion originally published in 1742. Cymlings are also known as patty pan squash. (I called them UFOs as a child and still do!) No amounts were given in the recipe therefore measurements and yield are estimated. Original recipe used either bacon ends or "fatback", if I'm understanding the language.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pattypan squash, stems removed, washed well and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 slices bacon
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- In a cast iron skillet fry the bacon on medium heat until crisp. Set aside. When cool enough to handle, break up bacon into small pieces.
- In same pan, fry the patty pan squash until golden brown on both sides, stirring often to avoid burning, about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and transfer to serving dish.
- Here is the recipe in its original text: "FRY some Slices of fat Bacon in a Pan. Remove the Bacon and keep hot. Fry in the Drippings fome Cymlings that have been boiled tender and cut into Slices. While frying, mafh fine with a large Spoon and ad Pepper and Salt. Fry brown and serve with the Bacon".
I cut back on the bacon fat used, but this is really good.
This was ok