1/5 Photos of Fried Cornbread (Southern Style)
Seasoned Cook's Note:
A SOUTHERN bread for sure! Goes well with any boiled leafy greens, cabbage, lima beans, black-eyed peas, fried fish or pork chops. Just can't beat it!!! Just like Grandma use to make!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal mix
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 cup vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1Mix first two ingredients to make a batter --- add more or less water depending on how thick or thin you want your cornbread patties. The best way would be to mix in small amounts of water at a time to get the consistency you want.
- 2In a skillet or frying pan bring oil up to medium heat and test 1/2 teaspoon drop of batter, You do not want it to fry too fast. I normally cook mine on #6 and then furn down to #5 on my stove. Drop by tablespoons full and pat out with back of spoon to make a pattie. Turn over when bottom is light brown.
- 3Serve and enjoy this tasty bread!
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fried Cornbread (Southern Style)
Serving Size: 1 (83 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 466.9
- Calories from Fat 399
- Total Fat 44.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 304.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 2.0 g