Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
My Mom would make fried corn cakes once in a while to serve with pinto beans. This isn't her recipe the one like she made has already been posted but this is also good. The preparation and cooking times are guess.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded or 1⁄2 lb bulk sausage, browned and drained can be used in place of the cheese
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt.
- In separate bowl, mix milk, butter, and egg.
- Add milk mixture to the dry ingredients, mixing just until combined.
- Stir in the cheese.
- Pour approximately 1/4 cup batter onto a lightly greased griddle or skillet; flatten batter slightly.
- Cook until lightly browned on both sides.
- If batter becomes too thick add a small amount of milk.
I thought these were delish. Someone asked me to bring these to go along with some beef stew. This was just what I was looking for. Thanks
We loved these...the crunchie, cheesie pancakes are just what the veggie chili needed. Thanks for posting. It is a keeper!
WOW!!these are delicious and so easy to make. It has the right measurements and the batter is like a pancake type. I fellowed the recipe as stated and after my first round, I added some chopped onion with the next round. This is a keeper for sure! Its great with a bowl of beans. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe.