Recipe by bullwinkle
My Mom would make fried corn cakes once in a while to serve with pinto beans. This isn't her recipe the one like she made has already been posted but this is also good. The preparation and cooking times are guess.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded or 1⁄2 lb bulk sausage, browned and drained can be used in place of the cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt.
- In separate bowl, mix milk, butter, and egg.
- Add milk mixture to the dry ingredients, mixing just until combined.
- Stir in the cheese.
- Pour approximately 1/4 cup batter onto a lightly greased griddle or skillet; flatten batter slightly.
- Cook until lightly browned on both sides.
- If batter becomes too thick add a small amount of milk.