Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
We used to make these when we were camping with the kids. They loved them and often made them themselves. They are just as good done on the stove at home and chilled in the fridge.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup pitted dates, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups Rice Krispies (or other dry crispy cereal)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- flaked coconut
- A heavy cast iron frypan is best, the one you use for camping.
- Melt butter, add dates, sugar and eggs.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture forms a ball, between 15 to 18 minutes.
- Turn heat off.
- Cool slightly.
- Stir in cereal and nuts.
- Combine thoroughly.
- Divide mixture into two equal portions, shape into a roll, 2 inches in diameter.
- Roll in flaked coconut.
- Wrap in plastic wrap or wax paper.
- Place in cooler near ice (or refrigerator).
- To serve, cut into slices about 1/4 inch thick.
We used to make these all the time when I was a kid. They were always part of our Christmas cookie repertoire. We rolled them into bite size balls and then rolled them in the coconut. They are so good we put them in our family cookbook. (We called them skillet cookies though). These are delicious and a great addition to any cookie tray.