Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Simple and Yummy! We think it's better than Ivar's fish and chips which is the best fast food fish and chips in the USA! Try this Really Easy Tartar Sauce with it. ***Please note that the nutrition facts are a little misleading - you will not be using all of the flour/salt dredge mixture and most of the shortening will still be in the pan when you are done cooking.***
- 2 cod fish fillets
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Crisco, about halfway up your pan (for frying, I used cast iron)
- Cut each fillet into 3 pieces and dry on paper towels.
- Heat the fat until the end of a wooden spoon bubbles, about 375*.
- Mix flour with salt and pepper in a flat dish.
- Mix egg and water in a bowl.
- Dredge cod pieces on all sides and shake off excess flour.
- Dip dredged pieces into egg wash and shake off excess egg.
- Dip into flour once again and shake off excess flour.
- Fry in hot fat until the pieces are nicely browned.Don't crowd the pan. Depending on the thickness of the fish it could take 2 to 5 minutes. Try to turn no more than once.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with a lemon wedge, Recipe #406770 and fries.
Followed direction to the letter and WOW. Light and yummy! Was not heavy or greasy at all. Served with oven fries and green peas. I used frozen ready to cook fish instead of fresh - very good with that!
Made for my DH who esp asked for fried cod vs my usual go-to oven recipes. My fillets were *very lrg* & I got 4 servings of 2-pieces ea. The only chg I made was to use lemon pepper in the flour-salt mixture. The cod was not the least bit greasy & was served w/parslied potatoes & a broccoli salad. Thx for sharing this recipe w/us. I am sure my DH will ask for it often. :-)
Spot on, just make sure your oil is exactly 375. I've had oil temp control issues before, and I used an infrared thermometer to make sure the oil was at the right temp-- First time I made this recipe I got the prep done while the oil heated up then made 3 filet of cod, 9 pieces and a bag of fries. The fish came out perfect, light and fluffy for the simplicity of the recipe. Don't forget salt and pepper!