Fried Chitterlings (Chitlins)
- Put the chitterlings in a large pot along with your 3 quarts water, onion, pepper, and salt.
- Boil them for 1 1/2 hours or until tender. Add a little extra water if necessary.
- Prepare a large cast iron skillet with 1/4 stick of butter. Remove chitterlings from pot and slice.
- Add to the preheated skillet. Stir as you lightly brown them.
- The chitterlings should be thoroughly done and almost falling apart. You can serve them with your favorite side dishes such as greens, maccaroni and cheese, or rice. I actually prefer to eat them by themselves, with several splashes of hot sauce.