Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
If you can stand the smell of them cooking, the end product is worth it.
Make and share this Fried Chitterlings (Chitlins) recipe from Food.com.
- 5 lbs chitterlings (I use the pre-cleaned 5 lb bag from frozen foods)
- 3 quarts water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 medium peeled white onions or 1 medium yellow onion
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- Put the chitterlings in a large pot along with your 3 quarts water, onion, pepper, and salt.
- Boil them for 1 1/2 hours or until tender. Add a little extra water if necessary.
- Prepare a large cast iron skillet with 1/4 stick of butter. Remove chitterlings from pot and slice.
- Add to the preheated skillet. Stir as you lightly brown them.
- The chitterlings should be thoroughly done and almost falling apart. You can serve them with your favorite side dishes such as greens, maccaroni and cheese, or rice. I actually prefer to eat them by themselves, with several splashes of hot sauce.