Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
- 2 (32 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 2 whole carrots, peeled
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 bunch parsley stems
- 1 tablespoon whole coriander seed, crushed
- 4 cups dried garbanzo beans
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons cilantro, finely minced
- Soak the chickpeas: Combine the broth, carrots, and onion in a large Dutch oven. Place parsley stems and crushed coriander seeds in a piece of cheesecloth, tie with kitchen twine, and add to the broth. Add the chickpeas and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat and let soak until tender-about 1 hour. Remove and discard the carrots, onion, and spice bag. Drain chickpeas and dry well on paper towels.
- Make spice mix: Combine the paprika, salt, and ground coriander in a small bowl and set aside.
- Fry the chickpeas: Heat oil in a large saucepan to 375°F In small batches, fry chickpeas until they are golden brown and crisp on the outside-about 5 minutes. Drain chickpeas on paper towels and toss with the spice mixture while still warm. Place chickpeas in a bowl and toss with minced cilantro before serving. Serve warm or room temperature.
These turned out nice although I cheated just a leetle! I used canned chickpeas. Love the spice mix! Thanks Mimi! Made for Zaar tag.