Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Oh man this takes me back. Talk about the ultimate comfort food! I'm a sucker for creamy, peppery gravy! You must make mashed potatoes with this! This recipe is easy to double if you need. It's just me and DH, so I only make 2 breasts. I hope you like this as much as I do! Enjoy!
- Combine milk and lemon juice in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Dip chicken in milk and then flour. Reserve leftover flour and milk for gravy.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Let oil get really hot before adding chicken! Fry chicken about 5 minutes on each side, until golden brown and cooked through. Remove chicken from pan.
- Add remaining flour to skillet with pan drippings. Cook, stirring constantly over medium-high heat until flour is golden, about 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in remaining milk. Cook, wisking well until gravy is smooth and thickened, which should be about 2 minutes.
- Spoon gravy over chicken and serve!
At last, I can make fried chicken!!! WhooHoo :D. Truthfully, I was born without the fried chicken gene that was strong in our family. This is the best fried chicken recipe that I have ever made and as a plus it works perfectly with skinless/boneless breasts. The only thing I did differently was to omit the cayenne so that DH would eat it too. Lots of wonderful "down home" flavor, very easy to do, and if I can make fried chicken it's also foolproof. There is no doubt that this will be made again many times over. Made for Photo Tag.
Oh Man! You are so right, the absolute ultimate comfort food! This chicken was so delicious. I double dipped the chicken to make a thicker crust and had no flour left over for the gravy afterwards so I just dumped in some plain flower and added a little too much, I ended up using an additional 5 oz. can of milk plus probably about a cup of regular milk to make the gravy. Needless to say we had plenty of gravy but it was okay. Because I used plain flour I spiced up the gravy with some additional salt, pepper and cayenne. This meal was fantastic!