1 hr 15 mins
Comfort food at its best--not for dieters though! We served this with brocolli but I think it would be better with green beans or another "comfort food" type of vegetable. The original recipe (Bon Appetit October 2006) used sausage in the gravy an chilies in the potatoes and gravy which we skipped. The chicken requires a 4-hour soak (I put my chicken in to soak in the morning and it was ready to make at the end of the day). This is also an easy recipe to divide or multiply depending on how many you will be feeding, however the leftover chicken freezes wonderfully for chicken salads. Order of preparing dinner is: (1) soak chicken, (2) boil potatoes and start to heat oil to fry chicken, (3) fry chicken and start gravy and finish potatoes and cook vegetables. Gravy can be made ahead and reheated before serving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the gravy
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups whipping cream (I used part milk and cream(I think you could also use part milk without any problems)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
For the chicken
- 48 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt or 1 tablespoon other coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- vegetable oil (for frying, I used Canola oil)
For the potatoes
- 1Cut chicken breasts horizontally, almost in half and place in bowl or marinating dish. Pour buttermilk over chicken. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- 2To make gravy:.
- 3Heat oil in large saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion and saute until onion is golden (6-8 minutes). Stir in flour and worchestshire sauce, cook 2 minutes more, stirring. Stir in cream and milk. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5-8 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in green onions and thyme. Cook stirring until gravy is thick (2-5 minutes). Season with salt and pepper. Can be made ahead and heated before serving.
- 4To make pototoes:.
- 5Place potatoes in a large pot, add water to cover. Boil potatoes until tender (15-20 minutes). Drain. Transfer to large serving bowl. Heat half and half and butter in a small saucepan over medium heat until butter melts. Add warm butter/cream to potatoes and mash potatoes. Stir in sour cream. Keep warm until serving.
- 6To make chicken. Drain chicken. Whisk flour salt and pepper in a bowl or pie dish (I used a pie dish). Dredge chicken in flour mixture.
- 7Over medium heat, add oil to skillet to measure 1 1/2 inches (or to cover chicken). Heat oil over medium-high heat until candy thermometer registers 375-degrees F. (or how I test the oil is sprinkle water on oil - if it splatters it is ready). Add 3 chicken breast pieces at a time, frying until golden, turning once (8-10 minutes). Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- 8Rewarm gravy before serving.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fried Chicken With Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (903 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1889.3
- Calories from Fat 884
- Total Fat 98.3 g
- Saturated Fat 57.7 g
- Cholesterol 482.4 mg
- Sodium 2439.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 143.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.5 g
- Sugars 12.4 g
- Protein 106.7 g