Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Fried chicken so juicy it falls off the bone.
- 1 whole cut up chicken
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 cups flour
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 (14 ounce) can fat-free chicken broth
- In one shallow pie pan place flour salt pepper and oregano.
- In second pan place milk eggs salt pepper and oregano.
- In third pan place bread crumbs.
- Dip chicken into flour and shake off excess.
- Dip into milk and then into breadcrumbs.
- Heat oil over med-high heat and add chicken.
- Brown on each side for about 5-7 minutes.
- When chicken is golden brown reduce heat to med-low and cover.
- Cook for about 45 minutes Uncover and cook 5 mins on each side to recrisp chicken.
- Remove from pan.
- Add 2 tbs flour and butter and let cook for about one minute over med heat.
- Whisk in chicken stock making sure to scrape up the tasty bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Season with salt and pepper and pour over chicken.
My dad always tries to tellthe cook how it should be done, but this time he wasn't available for interference. He loved it and so did everyone!
5 minutes on medium-high heat burned the chicken to blackness. maybe my stove's hotter than average? i used a typical 1.5-pound package of chicken breasts. online it says a typical chicken is 5 pounds. even if i'd used three times as much chicken, i would have had about 75% of the flour mixture and 50% of the egg mixture left over. the amount of breadcrumbs was appropriate, though. the flour and eggs are way out of proportion.
This recipe was great, it was easy to make and tasty. I added garlic powder to the flower mix (I add garlic to everything). The Gravy was great over mashed potatoes. I will make this again.