Prep 12 hrs
Cook 0 mins
Vadouvan Fried Chicken with Sumac Yogurt-Tahini & Pickled Kohlrabi Fattoush Top Chef Season 10, Episode 17, Finale by Brooke Williamson
- 20 chicken wings, cleaned, tips removed and reserved
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seed
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon vadouvan mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1 bunch scallion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon mint, sliced
- 1 tablespoon parsley, sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup honey
- 4 cups duck fat
- 1 tablespoon pickling spices
- 1 japanese cucumber, diced
- 3 red radishes, sliced
- 1⁄4 watermelon radish, thinly sliced
- 1 kohlrabi, diced
- 1⁄4 red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the Tahini Sauce
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground sumac
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- salt and pepper
- 1.) Slightly warm the 3 cups of water and mix in salt and sugar until dissolved. Add raw chicken wings and refrigerate in brine for 2 hours. Strain and add to a pot with melted duck fat. Confit in fat with 1/8-cup salt on stovetop for 45 minutes at 250 degrees. Drain off fat and set aside.
- 2.) In a saucepot, add canola oil and cook wing tips until browned. Add chicken stock, 1 cup cider vinegar, 1/3 cup honey, garlic, and vadouvan. Reduce by half until syrupy and season with salt and pepper. Strain glaze and add sesame seeds. Set aside.
- 3.) Warm 1 cup of vinegar with 1/3 cup honey, pickling spices, and season with salt. Strain slightly warm liquid over kohlrabi, radishes, cucumber, and red onion. Let chill in refrigerator for at least one hour. Strain and add fresh herbs, black sesame seed, and dress lightly with olive oil, lemon and salt.
- 4.) Crisp chicken wings in 400-degree oven until brown and crisp and toss with glaze. Serve with yogurt sauce and salad alongside.
- 5.) Whisk all Tahini Sauce ingredients together to make the yogurt sauce.