Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 hrs
Cook 1 hr
This is the vegan/vegetarian version of fried chicken. Always comes out different every time, but the key to this is to let it cook for as long as possible. Any leftovers are great in sandwiches or over salads.
- frying oil (enough to cover the bottom of a skillet)
- 2 -3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 lb tofu, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup good-tasting nutritional yeast flakes (use any leftover flakes for the gravy)
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 -2 cup soymilk, milk (milk makes a very rich, thick gravy) or 1 -2 cup water (milk makes a very rich, thick gravy)
- salt, pepper, and tamari to taste
- Heat the oil in the skillet.
- Add the sesame seeds.
- While these are heating, dredge each slice of tofu in the nutritional yeast flakes until both sides are generously coated.
- When the seeds start to sizzle, arrange the tofu in the skillet.
- Drizzle the tamari over the top.
- Turn the slices and fry on both sides until crispy and brown. This can take anywhere from 15 minutes to 1 hour depending on how you like it.
- For the gravy, leave the skillet as it is from making the fried chicken tofu.
- Add the margarine and let it melt.
- Stir in the flour and yeast until mixed, and let brown a little (but not burn) on medium-low heat.
- Add your liquid and continue stirring until thickened.
- Add salt, pepper, and tamari to taste.