Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
A great combo of flavors. From Bon Appétit.
Make and share this Fried Chicken Sandwiches With Slaw and Spicy Mayo recipe from Food.com.
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (sriracha)
- 1⁄2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
- 4 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- 1⁄2 cup bread and butter pickles, slices
- 1⁄4 cup pickle juice (or more to taste)
For fried chicken
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 (8 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts, halved crosswise
- peanut oil or vegetable oil (for frying)
- 4 sandwich buns or 4 baguette, rolls or 4 hoagie rolls
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- Prepare spicy mayo: Mix garlic, mayonnaise and hot sauce in a small bowl. Cover and chill.
- Prepare slaw: Toss onion, jalapeno, cabbage, pickles and pickle juice in a large bowl to combine. (additional juice may be added if the mixture seems too dry.) Cover and chill.
- Prepare fried chicken: Whisk flour with black and cayenne peppers and salt in a shallow bowl. Pour buttermilk into another shallow bowl. Working with 1 piece at a time, dredge chicken in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Dip in buttermilk, allowing excess to drip back into bowl. Dredge again in flour mixture, shaking off excess.
- Pour oil into a large heavy skillet to depth of 1/2 inch. Heat oil to 350 degrees.
- Fry chicken until golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to wire rack set inside a baking dish; season with salt.
- Assemble sandwiches: Spread cut sides of rolls with butter. Heat buttered sides in hot pan until browned and crisp, about 1 minute. Spread with spicy mayo. Build sandwiches with rolls, chicken and cabbage slaw.