Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Wonderful with mashed potatoes and cream gravy. Corn fritters or cornbread are a terrific side with this. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 3 lbs frying chicken, cut up
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- Rinse chicken pieces and dry.
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a bag; place chicken in bag and shake to coat.
- Place butter in a skillet and melt.
- Put floured chicken parts in skillet and brown quickly on all sides.
- Reduce heat; cover, add water and simmer slowly until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove lid and let chicken fry slowly.
- Serve piping hot.