Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is from the Little House on the Prarie cookbook. It is an old recipe but very good. I actually like it better cold the next day than fresh. If you are looking for one with a heavy batter or KFC style, this isn't for you. I have no idea if my cooking time is accurate...
- Place chicken pieces in a large bowl and sprinkle with vinegar and salt.
- Cover with cold water and set aside (I put it in the fridge) for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- After 30 minutes (or so) heat the oil in a frying pan (I use a cast iron skillet) over medium/high heat. Let the oil come up 1/4 to 1/2 way up the sides of the pan.
- Drain chicken and, one at a time, coat with flour.
- Fry the chicken in hot oil until brown on all sides.
- You can either finish the chicken in oven or lower the heat, so it doesn't burn, and cook the chicken through in the pan.