Recipe by WizzyTheStick
This is a staple fast food in Trinidad Chinese take out restaurants. Highly addictive. I posted this recipe without trying. Now that I have tried it, I must agree with the first reviewer that it was too salty. I have adjusted the salt. It is supposed to be a little bit salty but if you prefer you can use even less.
Top Review by Jewelies
Sorry de Roache but this was *way* too salty for our liking. If I make again I would definitely leave out the salt and just rely on the soy and the oyster sauce. For dietary reasons I cut back on the frying oil. I have Trini friends here in Australia and hoped to copy a recipe of theirs but unfortunately this one wasn't the one.
- 1 (2 -3 lb) roasting chickens
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 4 cups oil
- 2 chives, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine seasoning in a small bowl.
- Rub the cavity and outside of the chicken with seasoning.
- Heat oil in wok or deep fryer to 190 degrees celcius ( 375 degrees F).
- Drain the chicken and place in hot oil. Lower the flame to medium heat and fry the chicken, turning a few times until done (about 30 mins). Drain. cool and chop into bite sized pieces. Serve with sauce and garnish with chopped chives.
- For sauce:.
- Boil water in small saucepan, add bouillon cube, oyster sauce and soy sauce. Boil for 2 minutes. Blend cornflour and water and add slowly, stirring constantly to thicken.