Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
Rachael Ray's take on a summertime picnic favorite. Serve alongside Creamy-Spicy Citrus Corn.
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups sour cream
- 3 limes, divided
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 3 cups vegetable oil or 3 cups peanut oil
- 2 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, mix together the chili powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, poultry seasoning and cinnamon. Add half the mixture to a large bowl or plastic zip top bag and the other half to a large paper sack. To the bowl or plastic bag, add the sour cream and zest of 1 lime and mix well. Season the chicken well with salt and pepper, and add to the sour cream mixture. Marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes and up to overnight (no longer than 24 hours).
- When you're ready to cook the chicken, preheat an oven to 250°F and place a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat with about 3 inches of oil. Add the flour to the paper sack with the spices and shake well to combine.
- Working with 2 to 3 pieces at a time, take the chicken out of the sour cream mixture, add it to the bag and shake well to coat in spice and flour mixture. When the oil is hot (it should be about 325°F on a deep-fat frying thermometer), add the chicken to the pot and cook until deep golden brown and cooked through, about 8 minutes. Reserve the cooked chicken on a sheet pan in the warm oven. Continue double coating and frying the remaining chicken until all has been cooked.
- Cut the zested and remaining limes into fat wedges and serve with the crispy chicken. Serve with Creamy-Spicy Citrus Corn alongside.