Prep 24 hrs
Cook 50 mins
Can't go wrong with fried chicken. Marinate chicken overnight in buttermilk to give it a tangy flavor, and use the good ole trusty cast iron skillet, as it allows the chicken to brown evenly without burning, and remember to cook dark meat separately than white as it take a bit longer to cook. **Using table salt in place of Kosher will result in too much salt....chicken will be too salty!!**
- 6 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄3 cup pepper sauce (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 lbs vegetable shortening
- 1⁄4 cup bacon drippings (optional)
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings (optional)
- 2 (2 -3 lb) roasting chickens (cut for frying)
- Combine the buttermilk, 1TBS salt, and red pepper sauce, if using, in a large airtight container.
- Add the chicken piece, turning to coat in the liquid; cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours (best over night).
- Combine the flour, the remaining 1/4 Cup salt, the black, and cayenne peppers, and the baking powder in a large paper bag. Shake vigorously.
- Place the chicken pieces in the bag, one at a time and shake to coat.
- Place the coated pieces on a clean plate or tray; heat the shortening (and drippings if using) in large cast iron skillet .
- Using a frying thermometer to measure temp, bring temp of shortening to 375°F.
- Cook thighs and drumsticks for approx 10-14mins until a dark golden; turn and cook an additional 10-14mins.
- An instant reading thermometer inserted into a thigh should register 190°F.
- Drain on paper bag or several layers of paper towels.
- Cook breast and wings for 10-14 minutes on each side.
- Drain and serve warm.