Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A crispy crust, melting cheese, and a savory dressing. Do appetizers get much better? Although most of the preparation for this dish can be made well ahead of time, this tapa must be cooked at the last minute and served immediately. The nicest fix for this is to invite your guests into your kitchen, or take you electric skillet out to them.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons shallots, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon capers (whole small or chopped large)
- 1⁄2 lb cheese, fairly mild, melting (goat cheese is good here)
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons water
- oil (for frying)
- Mix first four ingredients for the dressing, reserve.
- Cut cheese into 1/2 inch slices (I cubed mine).
- Beat eggs with water.
- Dust cheese in flour, then dip in the egg.
- Roll cheese in bread crumbs, coating well.
- * note - the cheese can be prepared this far up to one day ahead.
- Heat 1/2 inch oil in skillet to about 380°F.
- Fry cheese quickly until golden on both sides, drain.
- Drizzle with the dressing.
- Serve immediately.