Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great appetizer for any party. Your guests will love these tasty cheese sticks.
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 lb cheese, well chilled (Cheese suggestions, Swiss, Monterey Jack, Mozzarella, Muenster, cheddar, fontina, Gouda, Edam, Havar)
- 2 beaten eggs
- cooking oil (for deep-fat frying)
- Melt butter in a small saucepan.
- Stir in tomato sauce, mushrooms, oregano and basil.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cover and keep warm while frying cheese.
- Combine bread crumbs, wheat germ and red pepper in a small bowl.
- Cut cheese into 2x1/2x1/2-inch sticks or 1 inch cubes.
- Dip each piece of cheese in eggs, then into the flour and then the crumbs to coat well; repeat one more time to ensure even coating.
- Heat 1 1/2 inches of oil to 375 degrees.
- Fry a few cheese pieces at a time for 30 seconds to 1 minute or until golden on all sides. (do not overcook or you will have a melted mess).
- Drain well on paper towels.
- Serve warm with tomato sauce.
Didn't come out good at all. The eggs don't keep the cheese coated well enough to get total coverage with the crumbs. So you have cheese melting through the batter. Using mozzarella, they came out really floppy and greasy. There's got to be a secret to good restaurant-style cheese sticks. This recipe, however falls short.
I had the coating problem too, but I fixed it by double dipping, flour, egg, flour, egg, flour. No coating problems after that.
LOVED 'EM!!! Way too easy to do.