Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Simple appetizer courtesy of Everyday with Rachael Ray Magazine.
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- 6 pieces mozzarella string cheese, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 24 wonton wrappers
- hot pepper sauce, for dipping
- Pour enough oil into a medium saucepan to reach a depth of 1 1/2 inches; place over low heat.
- Place a piece of string cheese diagonally across the center of a wonton wrapper. Moisten edges of wrapper with water, lift up all 4 corners, and pinch them together to make a bundle in the center. Firmly pinch the sides of the wonton together, squeezing out as much air as possible. Repeat with the remaining string cheese pieces and wrappers.
- Raise the heat to medium-high and heat the oil for a few minutes, until hot enough to brown a small piece of wonton wrapper in about 1 minute.
- Add 4 to 6 bundles to oil and cook, turning occasionally, until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain, then fry the remaining bundles.
- Serve bundles immediately with hot sauce on the side.