I know it's not diet food, but this is sooo good, and a little treat once in a while never hurts.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 ounces firm cheese, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices (such as Cheddar, Mozzarella, Gruyere, Chevre, or Monterey Jack cheese)
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1Combine the bread crumbs, oregano, garlic, and salt to taste in a small bowl.
- 2Whisk together egg and milk in a seperate bowl, and place flour in a third bowl.
- 3Dip each cheese slice into the flour, then into the egg mixture, then into the seasoned bread crumbs to coat generously.
- 4Place coated cheese slices in a single layer on a tray and let stand, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes to dry.
- 5If the cheese is not completely covered with crumbs, repeat the process.
- 6Meanwhile, pour oil to a depth of 2 inches into a heavy bottomed saute pan or deep skillet.
- 7Place over medium high heat and heat until oil is hot but not smoking.
- 8Carefully slide the crumb coated cheese into the hot oil and fry, turning once, until golden, about 2 minutes in all.
- 9Do not crowd the cheese slices in the pan or they will not cook properly.
- 10Drain briefly on paper toweling and serve piping hot with salsa.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fried Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (71 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 220.4
- Calories from Fat 79
- Total Fat 8.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 54.1 mg
- Sodium 387.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 10.2 g