Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 mins
I know it's not diet food, but this is sooo good, and a little treat once in a while never hurts.
- 3⁄4 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 ounces firm cheese, cut into 1/2 inch thick slices (such as Cheddar, Mozzarella, Gruyere, Chevre, or Monterey Jack cheese)
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- Combine the bread crumbs, oregano, garlic, and salt to taste in a small bowl.
- Whisk together egg and milk in a seperate bowl, and place flour in a third bowl.
- Dip each cheese slice into the flour, then into the egg mixture, then into the seasoned bread crumbs to coat generously.
- Place coated cheese slices in a single layer on a tray and let stand, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes to dry.
- If the cheese is not completely covered with crumbs, repeat the process.
- Meanwhile, pour oil to a depth of 2 inches into a heavy bottomed saute pan or deep skillet.
- Place over medium high heat and heat until oil is hot but not smoking.
- Carefully slide the crumb coated cheese into the hot oil and fry, turning once, until golden, about 2 minutes in all.
- Do not crowd the cheese slices in the pan or they will not cook properly.
- Drain briefly on paper toweling and serve piping hot with salsa.
Wonderful! Best recipe for coating I've found. Definitely needs a double-coat. I used 1 tsp garlic powder instead of the minced garlic, and I used cheese curds. Fabulous!
These were great! I also used italian bread crumbs and mozz chesse sticks. I coated the sticks twice and put them in the freezer for 15 mins, then deep fried them on 350 until golden. Thanks for this delish recipe!
its really nice