Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
My mom taught me this recipe. Paneer in this style is a nice change to the normal palak paneer or panner kofte. Try it, its mind blowing and very tasty.
Top Review by fluffernutter
Loved the combination of paneer and chana, and it was satisfying, tasty and healthy. I'm not a fan of a strong cinnamon taste in savory dishes, though, so next time I'll leave out the cinnamon.
- 150 g channa dal
- 200 g panir
- 100 g onions
- 100 g tomatoes
- 2 pieces cinnamon sticks
- 2 black cardamom pods
- 4 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 whole red chile
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- chopped coriander (for garnishing)
- 1 piece fresh ginger (1" piece)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 80 g oil
- 1 2⁄3 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash chana dal and soak for 2 hours.
- Grate onions.
- Chop corriander.
- Make ginger-garlic paste.
- Chop tomatoes.
- Cut paneer into cubes and fry.
- Heat oil in a cooker.
- Fry onions till light brown.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, cinnamon, cardamoms, cloves, bay leaves and red chilli.
- Add tomatoes and fry.
- Add chana dal, salt, chilli and turmeric powder.
- Fry for 7 minutes.
- Pour 1 2/3 cup water and close the cooker lid.
- Place cooker on full heat & bring to full cooking pressure.
- Reduce to medium heat & cook for 5 minutes.
- Allow cooker to cool gradually.
- Once cooled, open it.
- Add lightly fried cubes of paneer to the dal.
- Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh corriander and lime.