Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 14 mins
My mom taught me this recipe. Paneer in this style is a nice change to the normal palak paneer or panner kofte. Try it, its mind blowing and very tasty.
- 150 g channa dal
- 200 g panir
- 100 g onions
- 100 g tomatoes
- 2 pieces cinnamon sticks
- 2 black cardamom pods
- 4 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 whole red chile
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- chopped coriander (for garnishing)
- 1 piece fresh ginger (1" piece)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 80 g oil
- 1 2⁄3 cups water
- Wash chana dal and soak for 2 hours.
- Grate onions.
- Chop corriander.
- Make ginger-garlic paste.
- Chop tomatoes.
- Cut paneer into cubes and fry.
- Heat oil in a cooker.
- Fry onions till light brown.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, cinnamon, cardamoms, cloves, bay leaves and red chilli.
- Add tomatoes and fry.
- Add chana dal, salt, chilli and turmeric powder.
- Fry for 7 minutes.
- Pour 1 2/3 cup water and close the cooker lid.
- Place cooker on full heat & bring to full cooking pressure.
- Reduce to medium heat & cook for 5 minutes.
- Allow cooker to cool gradually.
- Once cooled, open it.
- Add lightly fried cubes of paneer to the dal.
- Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh corriander and lime.
Loved the combination of paneer and chana, and it was satisfying, tasty and healthy. I'm not a fan of a strong cinnamon taste in savory dishes, though, so next time I'll leave out the cinnamon.