Recipe by sistahmaryisis
This Recipe is a MS favorite! It comes from an old grocery store/restaurant in Oxford, MS.
- 4 catfish fillets
- 2 eggs
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash hot sauce
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 2 quarts peanut oil
FOR DICKEY SAUCE (TARTAR SAUCE)
- 3⁄4 cup Miracle Whip
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1⁄4 cup green onion (finely chpped)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the eggs, Worcestershire, hot sauce, and milk together in a large bowl and beat it until frothy.
- In a shallow dish large enough to contain the fish, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper, and lemon pepper.
- With a small knife, score both sides of the catfish four times across, deeply, about 11/2 inches apart.
- Dip the catfish into the egg wash, then dredge it completely with the cornmeal mixture, evenly coating the fish; set it aside.
- In a large pot or deep fryer, heat the oil to 325 degrees. Add the fish—one at a time for whole fish (if using fillets, two at a time)—and cook 7–8 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp. Remove and place on paper towels to drain. Serve with scallions and Dickey sauce.
- DICKEY SAUCE DIRECTIONS:.
- In a medium bowl, fold together the Miracle Whip, mayonnaise, relish, onion, and lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate it until ready to use.