Recipe by rickoholic83
Courtesy of Emeril Lagasse. (I'm hoping these are a great substitute for my favorite "Spicy Catfish Tacos" from Agua Verde!) PREP TIME INCLUDES MARINADE.
Top Review by Mrs.Jack
DELICIOUS! I followed the recipe exactly-the fish and slaw were fantastic together. The only change I made was to oven 'fry' the fish (and tortillas) w/ perfect results. I line a bake sheet w/ foil, spray it w/ Pam, place the fish on the pan, then spray tops of fish w/ Pam, bake at 350F for 25 minutes. We esp. liked the slaw-no vinegar-very nice change. Thank you, Mrs. Springfield, for sharing a great recipe!
- 16 ounces catfish fillets
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup creole mustard
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 teaspoons chipotle chiles in adobo, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 cup white cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a sharp knife, cut the catfish filets into 1-inch strips on the diagonal.
- Place fish in a medium mixing bowl with the milk, Creole mustard, hot sauce, 1/2 tsp of salt and cayenne pepper.
- Stir to thoroughly combine and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Make the Chipotle Slaw by combining the chipotle, mayonnaise, honey and lime juice in a large mixing bowl. Add the shredded cabbage, onions, 1/4 tsp salt and thoroughly combine. Refrigerate until ready to assemble the tacos.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a cast-iron skillet or a deep fryer until a thermometer registers 350 degrees.
- In a shallow plate, combine the flour, cornmeal and creole seasoning. Dredge each piece of fish in the flour mixture until well coated on all sides.
- When the oil is hot, gently place the fish in the hot oil and deep fry until the fish is golden brown on all sides, about 2 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fish to a paper-lined plate to drain. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Using tongs, quickly dip the corn tortillas in the hot oil until they begin to sizzle. Transfer to paper-lined plates to drain briefly, then serve, with the catfish and slaw divided among the hot taco shells.