Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
From Ajax Diner, Oxford, Mississippi. Out of this world.
Seasoned Fry Cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1 catfish fillet (should weight about 5-7 oz.)
- French bread, 7-8 inches long, halved lengthwise, buttered, and lightly toasted
- hamburger dill pickle, slices
- shredded green cabbage
- To make the seasoned fry cornmeal: mix together all the ingredients (makes enough for about five 5-7 oz. catfish fillets).
- In a deep frying pan or pot, preheat enough vegetable oil to completely submerge the catfish, to 350°.
- Dredge the catfish fillet in the seasoned cornmeal; fry fillet in oil for 8 minutes (the catfish will float when done).
- Remove fillet from oil and place on paper towels or a brown paper bag to drain.
- Spread the top slice of toasted french bread with mayo.
- Add a layer of hamburger dill pickle slices and sprinkle with shredded green cabbage.
- Put the catfish fillet on the bottom slice; sandwich the two halves together; cut on the diagonal and serve right away.
- Additional or other topping suggestions: cheddar cheese, bacon, celery-seed laced coleslaw, jalapeno tartar sauce, Louisiana hot sauce.