Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Catfish is relatively cheap and easy to get, but the taste can bore some people, unless done right. I used to make these many years ago, but haven't since becoming Kosher. Here's my method, hope you like it! Cooking time includes 20min sit time.
- 1 lb catfish fillet
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup cornmeal
- butter, for frying (or canola oil for the health-conscious)
- Sprinkle fillets with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Beat eggs, and stir in water.
- Spread cornmeal on a piece of wax paper, and roll each fish in the cornmeal.
- Next, dip it in the egg mixture (this is not an error, cornmeal, then egg - trust me).
- Now roll it in the cornmeal again.
- Refrigerate fish for 20minutes.
- Melt butter in a skillet over low heat and fry fish for about 3 minutes on each side, adding more butter if needed (oil can be used instead of butter).
- I love this served with a good tartar sauce and fresh lemon juice squeezed on top. Enjoy!
This was a very simple and tasty recipe. My kids ages 11 & 12 were able to help with this recipe. I had no problem getting corn meal to stick, but I waited until my oil was hot enough before I put fish in pan. Will keep this recipe and continue to use it from now on. Thanks!
This was really good flavor wise, but I could not keep the breading on my fish. Next time, I may try baking this in the oven with some cooking spray on top.