Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
DH has been catching so.. much catfish, that we've come up with another different tried and true. This one is fried in oil with lots of spice. Soaking in buttermilk is good, but if you're not into buttermilk, you may sub milk. Enjoy.
- Fillet and clean catfish (removing all dark meat); soak in buttermilk or milk for 1-2 hrs; drain well.
- Spinkle fish with salt, pepper, and herbs.
- Dredge in corn meal and flour mixture.
- Cook in a small skillet of 1/2 cup oil, being careful not to overcrowd fillets, probably cooking in two batches.
- Fry about 6-8 minutes, watching closely so as not to burn, turn once.
- Serve with a lemon wedge if desired.
I also added all the spices to the flour mixture, the only thing I would add is some more cayenne. This is a keeper! Thanks!
Excellent and easy! I doubled the receipe and added all the spices to the flour. After frying the fish, I added about 1/2 cup of flour, 1 tsp. baking powder, and a little milk to my leftover flour-cornmenal mix. I fried this in the oil for hushpuppies. Turned out great!
Really good. I substituted Tony's creole seasoning which has the seasoning listed and a bit more...YUM! I will be making this over and over.